Tuesday, December 14, 2010

She came in through the bathroom window

  She didn't really, since only one of our three bathrooms even has a window. But the good news is our bathroom remodel is complete. New tile in all three, complete overhauls in the other two. Too bad we didn't do it sooner, so we could have enjoyed it more. We'll be coming back though, despite what some might say/think.
  The house is officially up for lease. The sign in the front yard says so, and it's been listed in the MLS. Despite frantic cleaning before going to Adventure City though, no one has come by to see it, other than the two families we found through word of mouth. Still have three weeks though.
  Andy's in Australia now. As we speak, he's finishing up a day of touring properties with our relocation agent. A few possibilities, but it's a daunting task finding a nice house with a reasonable rent in a specific and tiny geographical area (near one of three good schools that we liked.)
  Busy week ahead--is there any other kind? Nutcracker Ballet, choir performance, SSJ recital. Oh, and my last day of work will be Thursday. Going to be a very sad day, leaving behind a job I love, people I really care about and enjoy working with. I'm hopeful that I can still do some work for Opto from home, and I'm also hopeful I can return once we come back. Only time will tell, but I have to think positive.
  When Andy and I discussed this move, my three biggest concerns were, in order:
1. Being far from family and friends
2. Having to give up my job,
3. The financial implications (loss of my income, cost of living in Australia, etc.)
  The first concern is obvious, and we'll do the best we can to alleviate the pain of separation. Things like Skype, and buying airplane tickets for the grandparents, and coming back every year will help with the first issue. The second was a huge deal to me for so many reasons, most of which are very personal to me and most likely of no interest to you, so I'll spare you that. If I am able to do some consulting at least, or gain other Opto experience, that will help take care the second issue. We'll let you know how #3 works out once we get our feet on the ground.
 

3 comments:

  1. Hugs to you, my friend. I know how difficult moves can be and I think I know what some of the #2 reasons are. I know the chips will fall in good places for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that I can make up for the loss of #1 in some small way. Being the lovely people that you are, you're bound to be surrounded by new friends before you know it.
    I can't wait for you to get here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad that I am going to see you again in a few weeks, made today (Thursday) a bit easier for us (I hope).
    Focus on what you need to do, make a list and stick it on the fridge, cross stuff off as you do it. Get the girls involved.
    Your a gem Alexi, you will land on your feet. Im sure of it.

    ReplyDelete