![]() |
| 1st place x 4 |
Here's a video of her races, and you can see in a few of the events she was way ahead of the pack.
We weren't sure how she did overall until a few days later as some of the events had multiple heats. Turns out she won all four, and was eligible to compete at the next level in Districts. Students are only allowed to enter two solo events plus a freestyle relay, so she chose breaststroke and backstroke.
About a month later she competed at Districts against seven other schools.
The first event was the freestyle medley. As the fastest swimmer, Aliya was chosen to be the anchor.
Unfortunately, one of the girls couldn't or didn't put her head in the water while she swam, so they were seriously behind by the time Aliya dove in. She gave it her best effort, coming in 5th or 6th I think.
More bad luck came on her breast stroke, her best event. Here she is getting ready to dive in:
She had forgotten her goggles, and borrowed some from a friend. I don't think they were tight enough because they fell off when she dove in:
She didn't qualify for the next level, Divisionals, but she sure had a fun afternoon swimming with her friends while the rest of her friends were at school!
The next activity was Aliya's House Cross Country event. Here is the story in her own words: On Friday the 21st of March I had my Cross Country! I am in Warren House which is red.
A lot of my friends don't like cross country because it is a lot of running. I like cross country though and I trained for this day. Cross Country wasn't a long run for me since I love to run! We had to run 1.7 k. (easy). The grades 3 and 4 race against each other. I am a grade 4 which is better because I did it last year going against grade fours Now I am going against younger kids the grade threes. We lined up.
The pistol went and everybody started to run.
After a few seconds all the kids were spread apart. Me and this girl called Sasha who is in grade 3 were neck and neck for 1 and a half laps (we had to do 3 laps).
We were in first until I was annoyed and just sprinted in front of her. Yessssssss! After I finished my second lap I was pretty far in the lead and I kept telling my self 'keep running don't look back' and guess what? It worked and I came First!
I was so happy. I got a blue ribbon. My best friend came second. I think I beat her by just 5 or 10 seconds. My other best friend came third! Another of my friends who is in grade 3 came fourth and another of my best friend came fifth.
You know Sasha who I was neck in neck with well she came sixth! Our house, red has never won or lost Cross Country. Last year green house beat us by 3 points! This year green came last, blue came third and...........................we came second by 10 points so that means yellow wins. I congratulated them even though I was disappointed. Most of all I was proud of myself for doing my best and that's what you should do even if you don't think you can make it. If you don't get in to district like I did don't be sad there is always next year. I mean we are only in year four we still have two more chances! That's the end of my Cross Country story but don't worry because there will be more sport stories like basketball and more. By Aliya Gray
I really give her a lot of credit, because she set a goal for herself to win. During the training sessions, a lot of her friends walked together. She chose to run with the boys instead, to improve her speed and stamina.
Next up, for your reading pleasure is Alanna, telling about her recent softball game.
| All the Year 7 girl soft-ballers plus coaches Simone (on left) and Miss McLean (right). |
| Sticking my tongue out at mom =] |
We batted first, and got 8 out of 9 home!
| Sneaking (what they call stealing!) |
Then we swapped over. A girl hit it towards me, and I threw to third, where another girl got out!
The next girl hit a pop fly.
I caught it, so that girl is out, and then I throw it to second where a girl running is out!!! 3 outs, no one got home for them!
| Talking tactics =] |
And then we bat again.
| Heading for home! |
And we get 8 our of 9 home again, including a home run from one of our best players!
SO THAT MEANT WE HAD ALREADY WON!!
Because there was no way they could catch up to us anyway!
It was a fun day, and it meant we were going to Divisionals!
| The best Softball team!!! |
Alexi here again. Just a couple of notes. One was that I went with another mom to watch the games. Her daughter was on the other team, and after they finished, she was ready to go. A bit of a dilemna for me, as I hadn't seen Alanna play yet, but the other mom drove and I hated to make her wait for me. Then I remembered, this is Melbourne! Just on the other side of the park was St. Kilda road. I could walk over there after the game and catch a tram right to my street! So that's what I did---I love the public transport system here. The other note is that after school last week they had a practice game, the girls against the teachers. I love that the teachers (some of whom who had clearly never played) were willing to come out and play. It was great fun, and good practice for the girls.
I still want to tell you about their basketball seasons, so this is to be continued....

No comments:
Post a Comment