It ain't what she said, it's the way that she said it....Aliya came home today with the clear beginnings of an Aussie accent! Yesterday it wasn't there, today it was. Tomorrow marks two weeks of school, so it's happening pretty fast. She wasn't even aware of it. I kept asking her questions trying to get her to say the words that sounded noticeably "Aussie." (Yes, I know Ben and Annie, she's the one with the accent..that's enough out of you!) Low-quality video below, listen for the words Rainbow and No.
It's up and down for her, like all of us. Last night she was in tears because we read "Franklin's Surprise Party." I expected a birthday surprise party, but it was a going away party. That reminded her of our going away party (thanks again, Roger, Julie, Quan and Allison) and made her oh so sad. Couldn't stop the tears as she cried about not being able to hug her best friend for a year. She cried about having to learn different words. She apparently asked her teacher if she could go to the bathroom and the teacher looked at her confused. She had to ask if she could go to the toilet. Broke my heart, since I was feeling a bit out of sorts myself...
Today I met a lovely woman for coffee. Another ex-pat who's been here 1.5 years. She's the chairperson for the American Women's Auxiliary for the Royal Children's Hospital. It was nice to talk to someone who felt exactly the way I did. Feelings like, Why in the world did I give up my job and all our friends and family to come halfway around the world. Thank you Miriam!
Also a big shout out to all of you who read and even comment on the blog, who sympathize via Facebook, who email and Skype us, who send cards and packages (let me know if you need suggestions on what to send ☺). Knowing that you're all out there helps enormously!
And in case you miss me as much as I miss you, you can check out one of my last projects at work. Of course, I just showed up and asked a few questions. Ben, Benson, and especially David did all the hard work putting it together. You can see it here: Fedora Farms Case Study
I'm sure it must be very difficult. My mother told me that my grandparents said they would never have emigrated if they had known how hard it would be. They saw their parents only once after they came to the states from Scotland. And yet, my grandmother, one of her sisters, and at least two of her brothers all left. Economic necessity, I suppose.
ReplyDeleteHang in there, I'm sure it will get better.
Linda
OMG! She DOES have our accent already! How cool!
ReplyDeleteI thought it may be obvious to you, but not so much to me, but she's picked it up super fast.
Can't wait for the grown ups to develop a slight "accent" too!
I hope the tough times are few and far between. It's gotta get easier, right?
Wow! She does sound just like an Aussie! We're not going to know what she's saying by next Jan! Hang in there - I'm sure it's going to get easier!
ReplyDelete(((hugs))) but I think it is funny that she has picked up the accent so quickly! I am sure that once she hits stateside again, it will all come back, right? ;-)
ReplyDeleteLauren and I watched this video 3 times and laughed. It is so cute how she already has an accent. It probably will disappear as fast as it appeared once you move. I remember once I went away for a week with a bunch of Texans and my mom said I came home with a Southern Drawl that lasted a day. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, that was fast! Hearing her speak with an accent sounds so out of place. Sending you and your family hugs, Alexi. I hope you feel at home in your new home soon. xoxox
ReplyDeleteOK, my family is fascinated. We've probably played Aliya's video 40 times, and none of my children have managed to mimic her accent. Not for lack of trying though!
ReplyDelete