Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happiness is a Warm Hot Cross Bun

   Happy Easter! It was a beautiful fall day today here in Australia. Clearly Easter's occurrence in spring is a northern hemisphere thing. Nonetheless, the Easter Bunny put in an appearance at our house, filling up the girls baskets with books, movies, toys and candy. 
Lots of goodies
   Fortunately he (she?) was able to find some pastel-packaged Twix, M&M's, Kit-Kats and Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. Or maybe the Easter Bunny brought them from the States. Based on what I saw in the stores here, you can get any type of Easter candy you want as long as it's a chocolate egg or chocolate bunny. I don't recall seeing a single Jellybean or Peep!
   We were invited to an Easter Egg hunt at a family whose son is in Alanna's class and whose daughter is in Aliya's. I was curious whether they'd be searching for real hard boiled eggs, or plastic toy/candy filled eggs. Should have known it would be a hunt for chocolate eggs. No complaints from our family though!
Headed to the Easter Egg Hunt
   There were lots of games and activities for the kids:
Aliya and Liana (a name that really is a blend of Aliya
and Alanna, don't you think?) making bunny ears
Donut-eating contest
No hands allowed
Fruit and the big Easter favorite: Hot Cross Buns. They served the more common
raisin variety, but I highly recommend the mocha and chocolate chip flavors--YUM!
Egg, er, lime races
Tug of war
   Marjo, you'll want to look away from the next picture of our lunch! Not a combination I would have thought, of, but hey, when in Australia...
Sausage with egg and "bacon" (more like ham)
   Aussies really like their eggs. So much that they even put them on pizza! Haven't tried that yet, but it wasn't too bad on the sausage.
   After a few hours, Andy and I left the girls jumping on the trampoline and walked home to continue working on this:

Just a few of our boxes.
This was before the second truckload arrived...
   The girls wanted to play the food-on-a-string game again tonight, because, you know, they hadn't had enough junk food yet. So we tied some string around two hot cross buns and let them have a go:

   The warm chocolate chips left their mark:


Happy Easter everyone! 
We hope you have a joyful day.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful Easter for all! Glad to see the girls having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a fabulous Easter! Everyone looks fab! I am sure you are having fun putting your house back together after the container unloaded all of your stuff! Yay to cooking equipment! :)

    ReplyDelete