Monday, May 2, 2011

Splish Splash

Good morning, Andy writing in here.  After church on Sunday, it was raining and a bit cool, and we were struggling to decide what to do for entertainment.  Then it came to us.  Swimming!  At the nearby indoor wave pool!  Sweet!  So I packed up Alanna, Aliya and a few towels, and off we went.  The facility is a community centre, pretty much like most you’ve probably seen.  Except this one has an outdoor archery range, and an outdoor trapeze school.  You know, just like all those other community centres around.  But rather than go for the trapeze lessons, we stuck to our plan and headed indoors to the heated pools.

First up was the wave pool, which thunders to life every 30 minutes.  We got there just in time to catch a set of waves, and get bounced around like corks in the ocean.  Only it was way warmer than the ocean.  After that, we headed to the adjacent kids pool, which was even warmer, but there wasn’t too much action here, so we headed over to the giant lap pool.  About a third of the pool was set aside for recreation, as opposed to actual laps.  And they had set out these very cool floating foam mats, about 6 feet by 6 feet (2 metres by 2 metres for you metrically inclined folk).  We then spent the next half hour trying to stand, surf, balance, pose and walk across the mats.  Tremendous fun, especially when we stacked up all six mats and had a wonderfully stable raft.

After a while, we decided to change pools again, and as soon as I was out of the water, the girls started begging for chips (French fries).  I put them off as long as I could, and finally caved in and bought a plate of fries for (gasp!) $7.50.  That’s how they get you.  $13 for the three of us to play in the pools all day, but $7.50 for fries.  Smart business.  After the chips break, we headed back into the wave pool.  While the girls thrilled to the rising and falling of each wave, my goal this time was to stand as still as possible to try to resist the waves surge.  Mostly I was just feeling lazy and didn’t want to have to swim around.  But it turned out to be more work standing still.

In the end, my ultimate goal was achieved.  The girls were exhausted and ready for an early bedtime.  This was proven at dinner time with a very grumpy and bleary-eyed Aliya.  She ate her three chicken nuggets and called it a night.  And the rest of us followed soon after.  Sleep tight.

P.S. From Alexi: Did you know you can leave a comment? Yes you! It's easy, it's fun, and it's free! Just click on the link at the bottom of any post that says 0 Comments (or 1 Comment, or some other number if we're luck.) Show us some love and let us know you're out there.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't want you to think I was a stalker or anything, so I've been laying off the comments! But it is fun to read about your journeys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Leslie said... But, I see your point, even the same old people commenting shows some love... I like it when you pop up on my blog, so its only fair to return the comment.
    Wave pool huh... Ballarat is not that savvy. Sounds like fun.
    Cold and raining? Right now I am sitting outside in a t-shirt, no bugs, its 74°, just watched a beautiful sunset with out a cloud in the sky... you sure you want me to comment????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leslie and Ben, I do appreciate your comments. But you two (and about three others) already know how to comment :-)
    Weather isn't too bad but it's still fall, er, autumn. Cold during our beachfront walk today, but then the sun came out. We walked through Elwood neighborhood and it was a beautiful fall day with tons of leaves. Felt like I was back in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gary here. Ben's friend in Ballarat. I have visited this site a few times from Ben's world famous blog page. I hope you all enjoy your stay in Aussie and look forward to reading of your adventures and comparing them to the rants and raves of a certain old bald guy when he first changed countries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The famous Gary, hello, and thanks for checking in. We definitely have Ballarat on our list of places to visit. The historical sites, like Sovereign Hill and the hospital where Ben began his Opto career :-)

    ReplyDelete