As I type this, Andy is literally 30,000 feet in the air over the Pacific, getting back to Melbourne. Hopefully, he's getting some sleep, something that's been in very short supply for him this past week while he was in the States. Hard to believe he had to go back after just getting here, but the timing was good in some ways. He was able to check on our house, meet with the contractors repairing all the damage, deliver gifts to various people, and oh yeah, attend a conference in Denver with a 800 of his coworkers. At my request, he took an extra suitcase, one that is now stuffed with US goodies. In my defense, it's not all for me. I will lay claim to the tequila and Crystal Light packets, but he also got (with some help from Allison and Julie) baby gifts for Andy's coworkers, new swim suit for Alanna, b-day gifts for Aliya, wine -- a couple bottles of my favorite, Mexican food items. Of course, with all that, plus books from his dad and all our collected mail from his mom, the suitcases each came to 52 lbs. Oops.
So, with Andy gone I was left to my own devices. I took a deep breath and planned a big outing for Sunday. I was a bit nervous as I'd always had Andy to do the heavy lifting with regards to navigating the public transportation and the city itself. Nevertheless, I was determined, and prepared, after spending an hour or so on the Internet with Google Maps. Armed with backpacks, water bottles, and our MyKi cards, we headed for the train station. We disembarked at the famous Flinders Street Station.
| Meet me under the clock |
When the girls were ready for something else, we headed down the steps to the Yarra river. Across the river we could see the boathouses, one of which Andy joined. On our side, however, was our destination: Birrarung Marr. Plagiarizing from the web: Its name comes from the language of the Wurundjeri people who originally inhabited this area, 'Birrarung' means 'river of mists' while ‘Marr’ refers to the side of the river.
| Hammock swing |
The girls really enjoyed this park, with swings, climbing trees, ramps, and great slides. Of course, they rarely slid down them. More often, they climbed up and ran down them. Just beyond the park was a huge grassy hill. The girls couldn't resist, and despite the heat, ran up and rolled down them several times.
Next up, time for a treat. The nearby stand was out of icy poles (think Popsicles) but had Billabong ice creams. Sun-aware city that it is, there was actually a huge dispenser of sunscreen available to anyone who needed it, and the girl behind the counter (taking a look at our pale skin no doubt) encouraged us to put some on.
Refreshed, we headed back to the Flinders. I was a bit overwhelmed at all the choices, but an attendant at an info booth told us we could take platform 4 or 5, any train, to our next destination. So we did, and a short time later we were walking to a nearby hospital to visit Andy's coworkers, Mike and Ranjita. Ranjita gave birth to their daughter on Friday. They named her Sydney (they couldn't exactly name her Melbourne, right?) and she's beautiful and healthy. She slept the entire time we were there, but it didn't stop the girls from petting caressing her soft head.
Although we've had some headaches and heartaches getting the girls adjusted to a new home in a new country, I can't help but think Ranjita was a million times braver to have a baby so far from friends and family! I'm hoping I can help her out some, because we all know those first few months can be rough.
It was interesting to hear her experiences with the healthcare system in Australia. Ranjita was originally looking forward to five days in the hospital: private room, prepared meals, thousands of channels on TV. In the end though, she learned the truth that all you moms out there probably remember: hospitals are no places to relax. There's someone coming in every hour, or so it seems, to check something, and especially if it's your first child, you're probably better off at home. Anyway, big congrats to Mike and Ranjita, we're so happy for you!
Today, Monday, was a harder day for me, with lots of reminders of things we left behind. I typed out a few long paragraphs, but for a variety of reasons I'm not going to post them here. I will share one thing though. I was excited last week when I saw the local town council advertising a boys and girls soccer club. Close by, and the registration was now! Perfect for Aliya. I wasn't sure what category to enroll her in though. They had a group for 5-6 year olds, then a U9 category. Kind of a wide range. I spoke with the coordinator and he recommended that since she's played three seasons already, she go with the U9 category as the 5-6 year olds just drill and don't play games. He also mentioned they have pre-season practices Mondays and Fridays at a local park. Perfect.
Aliya quickly pointed out something that was very apparent, but that the coordinator didn't bother to mention: It was all boys! Not a single girl. Would have been really nice to know that before I paid my $190! I talked to one of the coaches but Aliya just cried and refused to participate. A few minutes later an 8 year old girl showed up, and 10 minutes later another one arrived. The coaches said they'd put at least one girl on Aliya's team. A coach also convinced the other girl to take Aliya under her wing, and they coaxed her out into the practice.
Partway through the practice a coach came out to chat with me. His big concern was her lack of shin guards, which of course are on the container. I'm going to have to buy her new guards and cleats, we can't wait a month for our stuff to arrive. Assuming we stick with it. He asked what my "purpose" was in signing her up, and if she had some friends on the team. Uh, no, we don't know anyone here. I saw soccer club ads, she wanted to play, and thought she could make some friends. So, I really don't know what the outcome will be. Soccer is just not the thing here. For boys, it's all about footy (Australian rules football) and for girls, well, I am not sure what the big sport is for them. I just don't see organized sports playing much of a role here, at least at the primary school level. For better or worse, I don't see anything like the soccer and softball leagues we have in the States.
I want to end on a positive note, so I'll go back to this morning. Every Monday the girls' school has an assembly. They present awards, make announcements, etc. My favorite part is hearing the children sing the Australia national anthem, Advance Australia Fair:
Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea:
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.
Sounds like a great day out was had for all.
ReplyDeleteHope Andy has a smooth flight. Its so long when you are cooped up like a ... well, never mind (and I know Andy is taller than I am!).
Ok on the typed, but not published paragraphs, been there too many times to count. If they were bashing Aussies, bring it on! Other wise, fair enough.
Weird about the sports.... we had to make an effort to keep out two OUT of sports at primary school. They just did not want to do it, but the school was all over it. Sport and Australia are hand and glove.
And since I got sick of waiting for for you to tell me that the RSS feed link to subscribe to your blog is at the very bottom of the page (99.9% of the rest of the web has it to the top right of the page), I Googled it, and am now subscribed!
Every blog entry now, right to my feed the moment it happens! Hehh Muhahhhhhhhhhhh
Netball is the sport that most girls play. Quite a few girls in Bendigo play soccer, but by Grade 3 when they are able to start playing netball, they usually stop with the soccer. You can get inexpensive shin guards in Big W for about $12, if your container is still a way off.
ReplyDeleteWhat sports do the girls at Aliya's school play?
Thanks Annie, I'll have to get them (assuming she wants to keep playing with the boys) so $12 isn't too bad. Soccer in the fall and softball in the spring are the most popular, plus basketball.
ReplyDeleteFor the rest of you, as Ben now knows, you can subscribe to this oh-so-fascinating blog from the top right of the page :-)
Alexi,
ReplyDeleteSounds like life is full of ups and downs right now. Is Andy home already, then? You mentioned making Mexican food. I know you are made of strong stuff, Alexi. Find ways to embrace the differences rather than cling to the way you're used to things. (((HUGS))))
I should probably post a disclaimer on the blog: if you don't want to hear my whinging (aussie word of the day) you might not want to read it :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's one thing for me to accept the differences, but it's a lot harder for a homesick 6-year old. Really, I have no problem with Australia. It's a lovely country, friendly people, and I spent a good part of today making travel plans so we can explore it. At the end of the day, what it comes down to is this: I left my friends behind and gave up my job, both of which I miss terribly. Until I fill that void there's going to be some emptiness here. Just going to take some time.